Compared with other fossil fuels, natural gas has a low environmental impact. When substituted for fossil fuels, it reduces the pollutant load on the air and the climate.
In fact, during combustion, it avoids:
- 25% of CO2 emissions (and up to 40% when combined with biogas) compared with heating oil.
- Almost all emissions of sulphur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx).
- Emissions of fine particulate matter harmful to health.
Natural gas is non-toxic and odourless. Furthermore, natural gas carried in underground pipelines is unobtrusive. It does not impede traffic, disfigure the landscape or create noise. Air quality is thus preserved.
Finally, biogas, which is produced from green waste, household waste and sludge from waste water treatment plants, further reduces the pollutant load. The natural gas produced in this way contains an appreciable proportion of carbon-neutral renewable gas obtained from the fermentation of various types of waste.
Gaznat cares for the environment at all times
Our company cares for the environment every day and is committed to the following actions:
- Ensuring that all stakeholders receive explanations and information when a new infrastructure project is launched, especially as regards the environmental compensation measures planned.
- Placing particular emphasis on caring for the ecosystem during construction and maintenance work.
- Actively participating in developing a carbon-neutral gas supply, via the Green Gas Initiative.